West Midlands Employment Law Group
– Building relationships across the city
Our aim is three-fold:
- To grow an organisation that offers practical, bespoke, sound training from experts;
- To nurture working and social networks amongst people with a common interest;
- To create a member-led body, of benefit not only to its members, but also to the region.
WMELG is about inclusivity and accessibility: there is no membership fee or criterion of any kind, other than an interest in Employment Law. We simply hope to encourage the building of relationships, the growth of a network and the strength of a community in Birmingham and the surrounding areas.
Welcome to WMELG – the first free, regional, member-led group for Employment enthusiasts. Our goal is to provide free membership, training, and networking opportunities across the region.
WMELG is the brainchild of a few local lawyers, who saw a real need for a boost in the profile of West Midlands Employment Law and the people involved in its application and development.
As “provincial” companies/firms/institutions, we can sometimes feel side-lined, and somewhat of an afterthought in what can be a London-centric arena when it comes to training and networking events. We decided to change that and take some pride in our region and the talents found in it.
Following the WMELG’s launch; we very much hope it will be the first of many successful and well-attended events.
As a group, we will aim to put on several training events throughout the year including quarterly seminars like today, as well as one or two social events to nurture new and existing relationships.
We want to be a member-led group and hope that you, as a member, will buy into our vision for WMELG. Once you have seen today’s event, we will be asking you for feedback as to the types of event and topics you and your firm or institution would like to see next.
Once WMELG is established, we have many ideas to explore with our members. For example:
- Junior to junior training sessions to ensure the relevance of training to the next generation
- A pro bono element to support those who cannot access advice easily
- Charitable fund-raising events in order to support regional charities
We need your support and enthusiasm to enable WMELG to put its stamp on the region. Anyone who shares our vision and our excitement for this project is welcome to express an interest in being part of the WMELG Committee: we will be sending a follow up email after this seminar, and if you would like to be involved in the shaping of this Group, then please do get in touch at email@example.com, or tweet us @WMEmplLawGroup.